"I am medically diagnosed as disabled, but whatever my label I am and will be whatever I choose to be".

Monday, March 25, 2013

To Teach or To Tell

So, today is National Cerebral Palsy Awareness Day! Woohoo! It's strange, but even I have a hard time asking people who are different from me what makes them so. This month I've learned that I should ask people questions about their differences the same way I would like to be asked about mine...with kindness and curiosity. I find that most people ask about my disability or why I walk the way I do because they don't know, but they would like to. I feel that we the disABLED should take it upon ourselves as the truly gifted individuals we are to TEACH the world of us instead of just TELLING. The only way one can learn is to ask the hard questions and seek the answers. As you speak to a person who is ignorant (uneducated) of the facts you must take the time to TEACH them those facts; we shouldn't just assume that they know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment